Sunday 15 January 2017

Septoplasty Post-op Diary -- Day 3

Previous post: Day 2

Day 3

So, I woke up at 6am this morning. Normally I'd be outraged that I'd missed my Sunday lie-in, but today it is good news, because waking up means that I actually slept. Only for about 4-5 hours, mind -- but still, a big improvement on the previous night. However, I still feel completely zonked... all I want to do is go back to sleep, but I don't seem to be able to.

So let's do a stock-take and see where we are. Well, I changed the mustache tampon before bed, and having woken up now it's bloody again, which means that the nose is still bleeding. My upper lip and the roof of my mouth are sore -- presumably they were manhandled during the surgery and are a bit swollen now. It still hurts a bit to swallow, and I still have a dry throat. 

On the plus side, my packet of prescription painkillers remains unopened, and I'm now 30% of the way through my course of antibiotics. Fantastic.

Last night, I did the nasal douche (that's the thing where you shoot water up one nostril and it comes out the other) for the first time. After doing it, it made me sneeze. A lot. And sneezing is one of the things listed on the discharge instructions as "avoid". All you can do is keep your mouth open and hope for the best! 

Still, we're supposed to be doing this 3 times a day now, so I boil some water and prepare for round 2. This time is better, less gunk comes out and it causes fewer sneezes. In fact, it actually makes the nose feel a little bit clearer. It works in both nostrils as well today, whereas last night I could only make it work one way round!

Oh no! I go to change my tache tampon and realise that I've used up all the ones that the hospital gave me. Give them a quick call, they say that by 48 hours after surgery (which is now) we shouldn't need the tampon any more, just use some gauze or paper towel to mop up the discharge. But I'm still having quite a lot of it, so this doesn't seem practical ... so back on goes the dirty tampon.

Today I have developed a mild headache, and my eyes are still streaming on and off. And having your nose slowly dripping all day long is annoying and wears you down. But it's now been two full days since the surgery and things could be worse!

Next: Day 4

No comments:

Post a Comment